Saturday, January 29, 2005

oh the weather outside is frightful....
but - that shouldn't keep me from WalMart.....
Ahhhhh.... the weather. Winter Storm 2005. Milk and bread supplies are completely depleted at WalMart, trust me I've been. Surprisingly, not to many people buying - just a lot of people walking around with that, "I am so glad we got out of the house or I might have committed murder," look on their face. For me? I rambled through the craft section and then picked up a puzzle (100 piece) for the girls. Apparently, they loved the idea, but not the actual concept of putting it together. Currently, all 100 pieces are scattered about the dining room table... and, I think the dog is eating one or two right now.
What happened to the ice storms when we were little? My girls are so spoiled! CD's, DVD's, video games, brand name clothing, and now.... ice storms complete with power on. WHAT? When I was little, I distinctly remember there being NO power for several days at a time... my mom and dad would cook on the big kerosene heater in the kitchen... yes, politically incorrect. No hot shower for a couple of days - and sleeping under lots of blankets. The girls? They have no idea what that's like... watched movies all day and played dress up. The power is blinking off and on now - SB looks a little concerned when I tell her there may be no lights later.... yes, darling, that means no tv as well.
These kind of days, much like my friend Malia's, are my favorites. We stayed in our PJ's till after noon, and have just been hanging out together.... well, sort of. Sarah Beth went outside at least a couple of times to investigate the ice... breaking off iceicles and measuring how thick the ice on the ground is... Jordin has been playing dress up most of the day... listening to the Walkman and dancing around in her own little world. She made a "hula skirt" out of construction paper, that surprisingly has lasted, despite her constant state of ballet, around her waist for a couple of hours. My dad made an amazing pound cake... and, I don't think hot dogs for lunch have ever tasted better.... something about the cold weather and ice makes all that unhealthy stuff taste good. My mom and I have been working on our scrapbook projects most of the day, and I have been reading my latest book off and on. I am sure by tomorrow we'll be ready to strangle one another with cabin fever... but for now, I am ok with a little family time.
Everyone needs a little sometime..... right?
If not, there's always a trip to WalMart.
Rachael

No comments: