Thursday, January 20, 2005

A few of my favorite things.... from today....

Jordin: Eww... I am not having brussel sprouts... I hate brussel sprouts. (please, keep in mind - the child has never come close to or thought about the brussel sprout as a food previous to tonight's dinner....)
Me: Jordin, these aren't brussel sprouts, (lying embellishing truth to my advantage) these are little, tiny, baby cabbages.
Jordin: (Perplexed look... as if to say - damn, mommy - you got me on this one... I thought you said Brussel Sprouts....)
Me: So, I think we can try these sweet little baby cabbages, don't you?
(twenty minutes later, as Jordin scrapes her plate clean....)
Jordin: Mom, I loved the baby cabbages... yummy! But, I still hate brussel sprouts, ok?

(note : the same above tactic applies to eating salmon as well... at our house, it's known as "Jonah's Whale Tale".... must be something about biblical refferal and food.....)

Me: (snuggling up to Sarah Beth at bedtime) What was happening on the movie you were watching?
SB: Oh, they were playing bonopoly.
Me: You mean, monopoly.
SB: No, bonopoly mom... say it the right way.

By the way, dear reader.... I love it that people think my children are adorable. I really, really do. Take today - as a matter of fact - I am teaching at the middle school again where dear friend from high school is a teacher.... mind you, dear single friend who has never been married or thought about having children friend from high school.... the inevitable, "So, Rach - what are you doing later? You should meet us at (insert local restaurant name here) for dinner! Wouldn't that be GREAT?"

(alas - I begin to ponder the mechanics of getting myself and two fabulously tired children ready for dinner out.... )

"Friend," I say - "I would love to do that... I just don't think the girls would be up for it... "
"Oh, don't be SILLY... " she says, " just bring them... your girls are just so precious!"

(oh dear me)

Yes... precious. They are certainly that. I can imagine how fun excruciating that would be... my two overly tired children in a sit down restaurant surrounded by single people who have no children of their own. Oh yes, very entertaining!

And, as she rambles through and about the wonderful times we are bound to have together, I begin to ponder the "precious" value of my children at dinner.
  • Mom, she's touching my napkin.
  • Mom, can I have chocolate milk with dinner?
  • I don't waaaannnnt thaaaat... I waaannnnnt thhhiisssss.....
  • Whhhhhhy cannnn't I haaaaaaave thaaaaat?
  • Well, SHE got it!
  • Why don't I have a red crayon?
  • I dropped my napkin again!
  • Mommy, why does the girls bathroom have all boys in it?
  • Mommy, why do boys stand up to pee?
  • Mommy, can you button my pants?
  • Oh, I forgot to wash my hands.... sorry
  • Mommy, where is our food?
  • Mommy, what are you talking about?

Yes. That would certainly be the epitomy of pleasure. Note to everyone, the Fletchers dine at home most frequently for reasons left mentioned above. Please add this to the list of "please-don't-purchase-that-sticky-gooey-toy-that-makes-alot-of-noise-for-the-Fletchers either.

Thanks!
rach





No comments: