Thursday, January 06, 2005

Attention Amber Frey ... please go home.
Setting Single Moms back ANOTHER 30 years....

(prepare for "vent" mode)

The Today Show (NBC).

Oprah.

I've just about seen enough, honey. Let me just start by telling you - God bless you. You are obviously a brave and strong woman to stand up and testify, essentially, in the name of a woman and infant you had or would never meet. I don't deny you your good health and fortune, nor do I think you should be called anyone's "mistress." And I sincerely mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Now. All that being said.

It's time to go home. Sell the book, make lots of money... pay your legal fees, buy a new car. Move away from California and build a new life. But please, Amber - go home. I have listened to your interviews with Matt and Oprah - and all I can do is stare in complete amazement... the stereotype that I try so hard to run from is sitting right in front of me. The stereotype that every single woman runs from is sharing her story with the world....

  • You really slept with him on the first date?

... and you don't mind telling the world about it? Listen everyone... I had my first daughter when I was 17 - started dating AFTER my divorce when I was 23... everyone understands that these things happen - completely... but when asked WHAT you were thinking, WHY you felt you so comfortable as to go ahead and hop in the sack with the man?

".... well, he had been prescreened by my friend, Shane...."

"... I just felt I could trust him...."

are you kidding me? The DAY my friends start to prescreen men for me - the day I think that simply because my friend set me up it's ok??? Please, dear future tall, handsome man of mine: I am not a desperate woman. Trust you? I hope so.. but, you know -

  • You let him pick up your child from school by the third date?

Ok, you trusted him. I get that. Really. However, this makes me cringe. I guess I am just way, way too protective of my girls. You are going through some serious relationship with me before you are picking up my children from school by yourself. They have a daddy already, thanks.

I hate it. I am here - waiting - patiently, mind you - for Mr. Right. I don't mind waiting. I have a checklist three miles long - hell, maybe I am "over" waiting... whatever... and the guys I have dated - wonderful. Fabulous. But these stereotypes of single moms... you know, desperate for affection, searching for a father for their children - they are killing women like me... ARRGG!! So, please Amber - pack it up and run on home, honey. Let the book do the talking, and you can just go back to leaving the rest of us single mom's be. Thanks.

And - single women everywhere - these things are signs that you should be asking questions... as Oprah so gracefully said yesterday - "things that make little pink flags start waving...."

  1. only available by cell phone
  2. has "water" running in the background every time you talk (Scott said this sound was "soothing" to him)
  3. gives you his address to send him a card - to a PO box sixty miles from home
  4. first tells you he's never been married, then that his wife is dead, then that his wife is only missing.

I feel MUCH better now.




No comments: