Thursday, January 20, 2005

And the week goes on....
Been substitute teaching all week at the middle school... missing out on what goes on in the rest of the world... as I am locked away between the hours of 8 and 4. I love it, though - and the kids seem to like me, which is nice.... amazing what a few BlowPops in your purse can do for you with middle schoolers.

"Oh.... you're one of those subs that is actually going to make us DO our work...?"

(Yep, that's me... Ms. Fletcher.... the model of discipline and good behavior....)

"Cool."

My favorite question from the week....

"How tall ARE you?"

...and by telling them how tall I actually am -and watching their eyes glance to the floor to see if I have on heels.... I have gained a few "lofty" friends - you know, the girls who were just like me in the sixth grade... tall. They find me during their lunch period or locker breaks for a quick smile and a hug...

My favorite quote to them.... "yes (insert name here) carry that book around... you'll really look intelligent... impress all the ladies....whoa - actually read it and who knows what will happen?"

After having been there most of last week, I realize that there is almost nothing as fun as walking through the hallways to "Hey! Ms. Fletcher! Are you gonna be our sub today?" Or, spending my "free" period in the libary yesterday, reading a book - and being bombarded by the sixth grade English class that I taught last week - all wanting my opinion on the books they were checking out.... they left with my personal favorites.... (insert pat on the back here... what a feeling....)

However - working all week means many, many things are left undone... laundry, cleaning... the car is making desperate cries from under all the "stuff" to be cleaned, and - I think there is at least $135 worth of dance recital costumes that were supposed to be hung up as soon as I brought them home... um, a week or so ago.

Hope you all are managing well this week! :-)

Rachael


No comments: