Thursday, January 06, 2005

Back in the Swing of Things
Well, that's it. Christmas and New Year's officially passed, and the girls returned to school on Tuesday. They had a wonderful time in Florida with Jim - and were almost as happy as I was when Tuesday morning arrived. I've finally recovered all living room from PHT (post holiday trauma) and am slowly, slowly getting laundry under control. As I was taking the girls things downstairs to their bedrooms, I realized just how much STUFF they actually have... too much. I think this week, while they're enjoying school, I'll slowly move some older goodies towards Goodwill. It's time, you know?
The girls are adjusting to my more present status in their daily routines. Before, while working sixty plus hours a week - we didn' t do much on the "family" time... I didn't even realize how much we depended on my parents (Mimi and Pa) to get us through the week. I saw them for an hour or so every morning, and the same or less in the evenings. Pa did breakfast, Mimi did homework, bathtime and supper - and I safely crossed home just in time for bedtime stories. Since having my "revelation," (you know, realizing I was tired of working sixty hours a week for people who less than didn't appreciate me and all the money I made them... but I am not bitter, really) I am :
  • picking them up in the carpool line
  • taking them to the library
  • going to Matinee movies
  • rollerskating (imagine - six foot tall mommy on rollerskates for the first time in at least ten years... )
  • making bubble baths
  • kissing the ouchies to make them feel better (ewww... not a glamorous job...)
  • doing laundry (so, we have a few new pink shirts and a few less white ones.... )
  • reading stories (yes, the voices too)
  • coloring
  • dressing Barbie (at least sixty times a day; does this mean my children are somewhat addicted to new clothes?)
  • driving to dance lessons (where in the #&@^# is the missing ballet shoe???)

and the girls are simply amazed. I am not saying that to be vain at all... it's funny. They cannot believe I can do any of this stuff.... Sarah Beth now wears a watch to be sure we are going to make it anywhere on time, and Jordin .... well, she's just happy to go anywhere. I made dinner last night - you know, actually cooked a complete meal from scratch (which, they didn't complain about, mind you) and Jordin said to me, with eyes as wide as quarters... "Mommy! I didn't know you could cook!"

I love it. May I always be a source of complete amazement.

Have a good day!

No comments: