Monday, February 07, 2005

organization and stuff
(stuff being the operative term here)

So.

I am not very organized.

I know, I know... surprise, surprise, you must be thinking.

Let me just tell you. IF for some grotesque and unGodly reason - my head wasn't screwed on straight - that might be lost too.

I can't find ANYTHING. EVER. I am always missing a shoe, a sock, a pair of jeans, my purse, my carkeys, my wallet, my checkbook.... missing some appointment, arriving late to church.... it seems that, for me at least, being disorganized has been transformed into a fine art that somehow defines me to others.

I buy calendars... really I do. I have a GREAT planner - it's awesome... I have had it for two years now, and I realized the other day (see post about the FairyTale Day debacle) that I should actually start using the damn thing. I mean, I have carried it around PRETENDING to be organized or quite some time. Amazing concept, really... writing down dates and times of where you need to be when. I can even keep up with when I am working in there... isn't that the coolest? So, I am mentally exhausted. Not because I wrangle middle schoolers all day - but honestly because I have been carrying around my planner, with complete knowledge of what's going on this week with me at all times. For example, let me just tell you that:
  • Tomorrow, February 8th, Jordin has Spring portraits made at school. (this involves a lot of brown background and a live bunny... I think we'll pass on this one)
  • Tomorrow, February 8th, Sarah Beth has a Language Arts test. (I know this because on her last test, she made a 40.... got to retake it and make a 70.... I felt exactly how "Mother of the Year" must feel everyday )
  • Thursday, February 10th, Jordin has "P" Day at school... PJ's, Pizza and Pepsi (you know, writing it in the calendar is all you can ask... I didn't sign up to bring anything)
  • Friday, February 11th, I am substitute teaching for Mr. Schmidt. (ewww... is this getting scary YET?)

As a small preview for next week, I can tell you that Jordin has a Valentines Day party on the 18th (don't ask me why), and a Field Trip to the Library. Also, the girls are scheduled to go to Jim that weekend.

I am tired of just feeling frantic all the time. Frantic, I tell you, frantic. I hear from people all the time... "oh...." (use lamenting, sad tone here) ".... it must be so hard to be a single mom... trying to keep up with everything....." No, I think - it's no different than keeping up with everything as a married woman - only less man to deal with while keeping up with said amounts of information.... however, as a token of courtesy to all adoring fans of poor divorced Rachael Club, I decided to start at least LOOKING like I have it all pulled together. Hence the actual USE of my planner.

I also cleaned OFF my desk this week. CLEANED IT OFF. I threw away the million and a half papers, coupons, business cards, and etcetera that were overtaking my desk domain. I save things forever... for ridiculous amounts of forever. No, I do not need the Bath and Body Works coupon that expired in October, even though I do want to ask them if they still carry the scent pictured on the coupon... I don't need an expired coupon... hey - I could write it in my planner. These three million letters from the girls schools.... why don't I write the one sentence down I need to know on the appropriate date in my planner???? There is hope yet.

So. This is Me. Rachael Elizabeth Thackston - with a vow to become (ok, sooner or later) the Organization Diva. Get ready girls, cause here I come.

Rachael


No comments: