Friday, February 04, 2005

Cool? Not so much.
sort of dorky story but I thought it was funny

I had a major revelation today. Incredible. It made me shudder.
I worked today at the new local high school... Hiram High School, to be exact - making me feel as though I was "cheating" on my usual middle school. I filled in for a parapro who works with the physically handicapped children - which was awesome. I laughed the entire day with them... it didn't feel like work at all. I think that is a wonderful feeling.

But let me just tell you. Your normal, everyday high schoolers are just damned intimidating. BIG kids ... HUGE... all dressed completely perfectly and all have highlighted hair and some sort of piercing.... everyone has a cell phone, a car - designer shoes... what happened??

I am standing in the student/teacher basketball game this afternoon - and my friend (well, sort of my friend - we're friends now, I guess) Bo Southerland (that's Mr. Southerland now, to all you laypeople) walks over and stands next to me. Funny, I remember him being shorter... but anyway.

He says, "God, Rachael, we used to be the cool kids in school.... "

I say... "We were cool, weren't we, Bo? I mean, do we think we were cool, or - were we really cool?"

"No," he says - "we were cool. We used to be these kids... funny how I don't feel so cool right now."

" I know," I say, "Me either."






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would just like to say that Rachael wasn't that cool. More of a band geek / school nerd! Don't get me wrong, she's pretty and funny to be around. But don't let her mislead you.