Friday, April 01, 2005

Gratitude Disclaimer.

So... I just want to add a teeny little disclaimer to my blog. This week was one of great distress regarding my blog - and, while I think it's all resolved now, I think it time to "right" the situation by sharing some things I don't usually think to say.... ok? Ok.

This blog is about me... and who I am I? Single mom Rachael. I have told you all about my "kid card," the million questions per day, the snotty noses and the cussing British teacher. I have written my woes about dating, raising children, and just day to day life... and no blog about or by a single mom would be complete without some mention of the (former) significant other... his name here, is Jim... Jimmy when I feel like being slightly annoying....

What can I say? The boy, despite my divorce status and semi-annual arguments, is the father of my children, one of my dearest friends, and one of the great loves of my life. Even now, three years later, I can tell you that I have never loved anyone quite to the degree of Jim - and 90% of that can be found in the faces of my sweet children - who act and look (though sometimes not in the best of ways) just like him. I see his face in theirs every morning when they crawl into bed with me, bedhead and sleepy eyed - and I hear his voice every time Sarah Beth presents a reasonable argument against whatever I might be telling her to do ... and that's often, people. The child is a future litigator, I swear.

Why the disclaimer? Because, despite what you might think from reading this... our relationship is one that I cherish, and share with no one else. I know no other divorced couple who is getting along as well as the two of us... or who has decided to raise their children so well, together. While I am custodial parent - Jim has chosen to make the absolute best of life - bettering himself with the best of education, community service, and mentorship. He is at the top of his class, and making it all work while being a father at the same time. And, while I do find it mildly (ok, INCREDIBLY) annoying that they come home most often with each other's clothes on, and no hairbows, he does a damn fine job being daddy... all the time. He is there when he can be, and sometimes even when he can't be - and is always forgiving of change of schedules, dance recitals, and the millionth question when I am tired of answering.

We do dinner or lunch together at least twice a month - talk about parent teacher conferences, homework, shoe sizes and funny things they say. I call him upon their request, and he always has as long as needed to soothe whatever feeling has been hurt, whatever question needs to be answered, or whatever argument needs to be solved. Sarah Beth rarely asks me her "scientific" questions anymore... as she knows I am always going to tell her daddy knows better than I do.... of course, now she says that boys know more than girls, which we all know is obviously not true... but, I digress.

Every divorced couple should be more like us... raising our children together, and forgetting the rest of the stuff in the middle. It's really not that important anyway.

Well... usually.


:-)
Rachael

No comments: